I am an Integrative Health Coach, a multi-faceted approach to aligning life and wellness. This work came about via a long and successful line of health-focused work in various community organizations. I use personalized conversation, planning, and encouragement, to provide support for my clients’ specific needs while holding in mind the goal of overall balance in body, mind, and spirit. My company’s name - Strengthening From the Core – is symbolic of how I reinforce others and how I weave my own life. With nearly two decades of combined experience in integrative health education, women's health care issues, and support services for individuals making life-impacting decisions, I am a bona fide, internationally-educated teacher. I pride myself in being a leader who personally lives what I champion in others by aiming us all toward a future of greater vibrancy.
The exuberance and dedication with which I advocate for health today is magnified by the extraordinary means by which I found my calling. In the mid-1980s, I was living it up on the beach, working at a record store, and searching for that big break as a model in Los Angeles. My one-track pursuit of rock shows, parties, and glamour was irrevocably changed when one day I collapsed suddenly. On Halloween 1986, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and given a 50/50 chance of survival. It was a sobering prognosis at the age of 20.
After eight months of chemotherapy, radiation, and a crash course in alternative healing methods like herbs and visualization, I never looked back. Through an ordeal that many would find only sorrow, I eventually recognized the lessons and made a radical change toward a life path of helping others. This visionary determination has been the power behind my continual pursuit of assisting others on their path. Subsequently my health has continually defied me, creating an environment for redefining what is truly of importance in life again and again. I am now chronicling my life memoirs from surviving to thriving. I want to make a difference to others coming behind me, and feel blessed to be able to do this work and to have it mean so much to me. It gives me direction and passion everyday.
I have co-created retreats for people living with cancer and innovative workshops focusing on whole health with an eye toward underserved communities. I am certified as a diet counselor, a fitness professional and a Co-Active Coach. I received an undergraduate degree from San Francisco State University in Women’s Studies with an emphasis on Health and holds a Master’s degree in Integral Health Education from the California Institute of Integrative Studies. During my graduate studies, I spent time in a tiny Mexican village learning the plants and observing the ways of a local healer. Also abroad, Istudied Qigong and Traditional Chinese Medicine in China and was certified as a yoga instructor in the discipline’s country of origin—at Sivananda Vendanta Yoga Center in Neyer Dam, India.
Today, I combine the experience and knowledge of her amazing journey in all her work. In 2006 the Lance Armstrong Foundation recognized me with the LiveSTRONG Challenge award for her dedication to cancer awareness and determination to broaden the definition of health. I am currently available as an Integrative Health Coach in person, by telephone or as a leader/trainer/speaker. Also available is “Design Your Health,” an a la carte-style menu of workshops, providing an inventive educational experience on an array of somatic-related issues with an eye toward whole health. Currently, I am developing an adventure-based, community buidling business that incorporates the perviously mentioned while being out in the world exploring and challenging oneself.
I also provide consulting for organizations as a long-term planning facilitator and follow up coach. I am currently working with cancer organizations in the state of Texas in this capacity.
Volunteering has been an important component to my life since I had cancer. I have volunteered at hospices, deaf centers, tutoring low-income children, rehabilitating marine mammals, running support groups and informational workshops for women with cancer, and now am focusing my time working on youth nationwide. A group of my colleagues and I have created a leadership program, named Catalyst, and provide to support youth in challenged situations to flourish toward wellness and fulfillment.
For more information, to register for personal coaching, to view upcoming retreats and workshops, or to request LauraLynn to speak, contact Strengthening From the Core online at www.ihcoach.com
- Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 20:56I have learned to set personal best markers to keep me going instead of comparing myself to others.
- Friday, November 9, 2007 - 22:53This year my third LiveSTRONG Challenge, an annual fundraiser for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. I
- Friday, November 9, 2007 - 22:34This is an excellent book to have if you are traveling in a country where you don't speak the native
- Friday, November 2, 2007 - 17:35I did not grow up exercising. Now that I have kept a steady part of my daily routine it is a habit I
- Friday, November 2, 2007 - 17:13Even before cancer I felt the urge to assist others, however post cancer it became essential. I soug
- Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 21:06Booked a flight and left everything else up in the air. I followed my gut when I got there and follo
- Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 21:02So I can have it ready as part of my book proposal for publishers. Have you done this already? I w
- Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 20:53This year I trained harder and more consitently for one of my most incredidle physical accomplishmen
- Friday, October 19, 2007 - 16:30Independent Canadian Researcher Lyle Mac William has just put out his 4th edition rating over 1500 s
- no escape... posted on Nov 16, 2007 in response to the blog Learning to appreciate things by leaving them behind
- weeding my life... posted on Nov 16, 2007 in response to the blog Weeding my life
- Inspiration... posted on Nov 9, 2007 in response to the blog A way of life
- Here Here!... posted on Nov 9, 2007 in response to the blog Health and the power of personal choice
- agents/publishers... posted on Nov 9, 2007 in response to the blog Finish a full chapter of my book and have it ready for my book proposal by Feb. 1 2008
- advance... posted on Nov 8, 2007 in response to the blog Finish a full chapter of my book and have it ready for my book proposal by Feb. 1 2008
- Book... posted on Nov 7, 2007 in response to the blog Finish a full chapter of my book and have it ready for my book proposal by Feb. 1 2008
- National Volunteer Day... posted on Nov 7, 2007 in response to the blog A way of life
- scheduling... posted on Nov 3, 2007 in response to the blog till you crave it make it a habit
- Nervous... posted on Oct 26, 2007 in response to the blog Going to India?