MEMBER: Jess Zaino
Style is a state of mind. Most people think its how well you can throw together an outfit or how much you spend, but what it comes down to is your confidence, self know-how and open-mindedness to new things (and looks). What starts with a basic foundation like a little black dress or a suit and tie can change dramatically with a bit of attitude and whole mess of accessories.
I didn’t have any formal training to be a Fashion Stylist or Expert but I did have the guts to go out there and create this title for myself. I was hosting a music television show in New York and would make my own clothes. People would often ask where I got the D-I-Y looks and I would reply, “I made it!”. The demand from viewers was great so I started to supply the clothes myself in a very grass-roots clothing line, Sooki Sooki. That took me to Los Angeles. From there I made my way up the fashion ranks of L.A., styling editorial shoots, then celebrities and finally landing my on-air gig on the Style Network. Through hard work, keeping up on the trends and always adding my own special “Jess” touch to a look, I’ve been blessed to help others build their own style confidence.
I am the co-host of the Style Network’s Modern Girls Guide to Life and the On-Air Stylist for the Style Network shows, How Do I Look? and The Look for Less.
I regularly appear as a Trend Expert on the Home Shopping Network’s Style Report and my style expertise has been featured on VH-1’s The Next Child Star, TV Guide Channel's Fashion Team, USA Network's Before and After'noon Movie Makeover and more.
Traveling to nationwide locations, I hosted the 'Make It Mine' trend event series for Nordstrom and am currently working with YAZ covering NY Fashion Week, Spring 2008. I’ve got a style podcast on E! Online and a popular blog and myspace page to keep in touch with my fashionably fashionista friends.
I am currently working on a fashion book due out in 2008 and hope to build a worldwide brand of product, books and TV shows.
People often ask me what I do, and I think I’ve narrowed down the response to a “Style Expert”. I love to style clients, family and friends and talk fashion with others because it is the easiest way for one to feel great, healthy, sexy and super fabulous about themselves.
- Monday, February 25, 2008 - 05:55did ya just catch the oscars?
- Monday, February 11, 2008 - 18:43Love is in the air. So is the smell of roses from your sweetie, hugs for your hunny and maybe a flirty first date for your February V-day? Most women believe that we’ve gotta show lots of skin to be sexy for our mates (and potential suitors), but not so! We must present ourselves in a way that allows his imagination to run wild with the possibilities of what’s underneath that cute but tastefully covered top. When preparing for a special night, whether it’s February 14th or any random Tuesday, it’s all in the layering.
- Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 22:42I will be a guest on libby gill's karmaair.com radio show today, sunday 1/27 at 3:30pm. be there or be square. that's what the young kids are saying -- or is it? and why are we obsessed with staying hep to what's young and hip? trends come and go but you last forever (or at least for 80 or 90 years), so maintain a youthful energy and with a few fashion tips, a youthful appearance despite not being technically young in age.
- Monday, January 7, 2008 - 18:18We’ve eaten the holiday cookies (yum!) and toasted to holiday cheer. We’re packing up the presents and heading into the New Year (I did not set out to write a holiday rhyme, but stay with me folks). With chandelier earrings and mock-crocodile, let’s step into 2008 in trendy new style! Ok, so the words are a bit corny, but the sentiment is there. As we move into a new year, some lovely trends follow.
- Thursday, January 3, 2008 - 22:33It doesn't have a steep price tag so neither should your purchases. If you stick with the eight wardrobe essentials like a good pant, button-down shirt, cashmere V-neck, dark wash denim, little black dress, sturdy shoe, overcoat and a personal touch, like my italian horn necklace or your mothers pearls, you are sure to be a style smash. It is with your inner style that you layer those essentials with trends that will come and go and can be as special as the bracelet your niece made or as expensive as the new "it "bag.
- Wednesday, November 7, 2007 - 01:37wowie zowie fashionistas - I just got a glimpse of the fashion future and it is fiiiine. people put so much emphasis on l.a. fashion week but the real gem is directives west held at the california market center in downtown l.a.'s fashion district which allows buyers to make their purchases for what will be in the stores, spring 2008. more than fashion week, we're seeing the creme de la creme of california couture. it is here that you are getting a first glimpse of west coast chic.
- Monday, October 8, 2007 - 19:05I want to help you be comfortable in your own skin, which in turn will give you the added confidence to try different looks that may end up changing life. Yes, I know I'm not curing cancer here, but what you present to the world is a HUGE part of what your life experience will be. If you tell me what makes you uncomfortable, I can offer suggestions to help build your confidence.
- Monday, October 8, 2007 - 18:52having just spent the month in new york, I became quite acclimated to the brisk fall weather. I was able to correctly assess the temperature then successfully add the appropriate outer layer to my wardrobe. mets game in the nosebleeds - track suit. birthday dinner with friends - pashmina wrap. montauk weekend trip - my boyfriends oversized wool sweater. I came back to l.a. thinking I'd find an indian summer filled with cute button down sweaters and the occasional custo barcelona wrap. wrong!
- Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 19:20I am in New York right now. I live in Los Angeles, but am visiting family and friends and working for NY Fashion Week. My good friend Nicole had a birthday earlier this week and decided she wanted to take her friends to a flamenco class. Being her good friend and a bit of an adventurer, I was all in. Upon arrival, we donned our flamenco shoes and picked up our castanets.
- Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 19:14If you need help finding a tailor, head to the swankiest store in town and get a recommendation. Chances are they use a Mom and Pop operation with a credo of quality. You can buy an inexpensive overcoat from a discount store and with one visit to your tailor, you (and the coat) will look like a million bucks.
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 23:42Although the little black tip is a closet staple, you can also think about the little pink dress or the little animal print dress. If you're not comfortable with a bold change, infuse color into your little black dress look with a brightly colored clutch, scarf, lips or bling. A little something extra to a simple idea can leave you feeling like a whole lot more!
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:08fashion week has been such a blast. to see it up close and personal is much better than reading about it and certainly gives me a much stronger understanding of what trends are emerging. metallix. check. oxford heels. check. bronzer make-up and nude lips. check. crest patches and scarves. check. check. and check. I was fortunate enough to get a coveted front row seat last night to the the custo barcelona show. his designs are made wth a sexy, international flair so it was no wonder that it was vibrant contrasting colors, sheer farics and high heels all around. ole!
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:08part of our fashion week coverage with stylewiz included asking the models backstage what their beauty secrets were. they are after all, consistently putting on and taking off make-up including that special monthly week where their faces are prone to acne. most of the girls backstage were really sweet and open to share their tips from making sure to sleep enough to shu uemuras miracle make-up remover. lots of the girls (who don't look a day over 14) read, text or even (yikes!) EAT!?
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:07my ultra-hottie boyfriend S. is one snappy dresser. really. he always puts a good outfit together with his unique mix of urban chic. fitted shirts, beautiful sport jackets and his favorite puma flip-flops or timz (you can take the boy outta brooklyn but you can't take the brooklyn outta the boy). we often discuss the lack of choices men have when it comes to fashion. well, I am here to report that I saw a male fashion trend emerging at this week's fashion week (and where better to spot the newest and coolest?).
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:07so, I was up and at 'em early yesterday morning. meg and barbara came up to my hotel room for hair and make-up and by 2pm I was ready to hit the tents with the stylewiz production crew. the tents are of course, a scream with fashionista, editors and fashion wanna-bes galore. we got to sample the samples like haviana flip-flops and mac make-up (bronze and natural lip are so the new makeup trend!). we even stopped in on the moet room (flowing champagne is a necessary accessory at fashion week) where we ran into mya.
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:06I'm finally at ny fashion week, babeeee! I came in last night from lax to cover the fashionable week for my lovely friends at YAZ. I'm staying a t a really cool hotel, toted to be a "fitness hotel". have you ever such a thing?
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:06and the fashion week rolls on... today held some heavy hitters, tracy reese and vera wang included. tracy reese is the champion of the every girly-girl with her lovely silhouetted pants. one pair had 10 buttons up the front panel!?! that's enough to button up the mouth of miz star jones who was sitting front row and center. vera wang did her usual silky, jersey, drapey, comfy fits and fabrics. and a personal cocktail party fave of mine, ports 1961 showed a giraffe-like alek wek in shimmery silver, golds and ivory.
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:05looks like day two brought in shades of grey/gray (what IS the correct spelling of that elusive color?) paired with bright, intense splashes of color for the woman coming out of her shell. keep an eye out for finnish model suvi kaponen who is the newest CK ad girl. tonite is the fashion rocks! show at radio city with huge guest celebs and jeremy piven hosting.
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:05today was the official kick-off day for new york's most fashionable and fabulous week, ny fashion week. if you don't already know, they show in the fall for the next year's next season. what?!
- Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 14:04me and the fam are watching the emmys right now. I was bummed not being in l.a. getting in on the emmy lounges that boast all of the latest and greatest red carpet accouterments. what I have noticed from my red carpet couch is that most ALL of the women are piecing hanging chandelier earrings with plunging necklines. its a great look for evening and one that can certainly work for any upcoming events or holiday parties for you.